Mother’s Day was always a special time in our house when we were young.
It was a chance for my two sisters and I to spend the morning in the kitchen with our dad, making breakfast in bed for our mom.
The breakfasts were never grand – simple bacon, eggs, toast, a side of fruit, and a cup of juice.
It was the whole act of putting the breakfast together, plating it on a tray complete with a flower in a vase, that made the occasion special.
If I were to make breakfast in bed for Mom today, I would do things a bit differently.
Sweet. Savory. Cheese. Preserves. Spiralized.
All in one dish on one plate in the form of a simple, yet elegant breakfast toast.
One of the “sweet” aspects of this breakfast toast is a thick slather of Bonne Maman Apricot Preserves.
Bonne Maman is a staple in our house. We love the high-quality flavor and thick, fruity texture. We love even more that Bonne Maman preserves are Non-GMO Project Verified, have no high fructose corn syrup, no artificial coloring or no added preservatives.
The subtle sweetness of the apricot preserves soften the onion-like sharpness of the leeks, balance the creamy richness of the Brie, and complement the fresh juiciness of the spiralized apple.
All the ingredients, when piled high on a slice of lightly toasted gluten-free bread, create a dreamy dish that satisfies both the sweet and savory aspects of breakfast.
Serve this dish on Mother’s Day, or make it for yourself any time you want to feel a bit fancy in the morning without much fuss.
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 leek, sliced into half moons
- 1 apple, spiralized into thin noodles
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 slices gluten-free bread, lightly toasted
- 4-5 thick slices of Brie cheese
- 4-5 tbsp Bonne Maman Apricot Preserves
- 2 tbsp finely chopped walnuts
- Trim the leek, removing the tough end and the green stalk. Slice in half lengthwise, then into half moons. Wash thoroughly to remove any dirt.
- Wash and slice off the ends from one large apple. Using a spiralizer kitchen tool, spiralize the apple into thin noodles. Alternatively, you can thinly slice if a spiralizer isn't available. Place apple noodles in a bowl with a teaspoon of lemon juice, to prevent browning.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the leek slices and stir to coat. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until softened.
- Add the apple noodles to the skillet, tossing together with the leek slices to combine (tongs are useful for this). Cook 1-2 minutes until softened. Remove from heat.
- Slice 4-5 thick slabs of Brie cheese. Finely chop walnuts. Set aside.
- Lightly toast your choice of gluten-free bread.
- Assemble the breakfast toast. First, layer the Brie over each slice of toast. Top with a generous amount of Bonne Maman Apricot Preserves. Next, layer a pile of cooked apple and leek over top. Garnish with crushed walnuts.
- Serve immediately (to Mom - in bed!)
Know what else I love? Le Creuset! Enter to win a 12 piece cookware set – among may other prizes.
Enter here, or click the graphic below.
Disclaimer: This is a Partner Post sponsored by Honest Cooking on behalf of Bonne Maman. While I was monetarily compensated for this recipe, the creation of the recipe and opinions are 100% my own.