One of my all time favorite foods is DIP. Any kind of dip. Hot or cold. I consider dip its own food group. Hummus, tzatziki, salsa, baba ganoush, even pesto. If I can scoop it with veggies, chips, or even just a spoon, I’ll eat it. I first made this Loaded Veggie Dip for a holiday family gathering…and have made it several times since. For lunch.
This loaded veggie dip is creamy and rich without the guilt. The first layer is garlic hummus, followed by a layer of fat-free Greek yogurt with fresh chives. The top layer is a massive mound of colorful, diced veggies – radishes, tomatoes, bell peppers, scallions, black olives, and cucumbers piled high.
A dip like this calls for a sturdy dipper, a scooper that can stand up to the weight of all those veggies. My favorite is Trader Joe’s Quinoa & Black Bean Infused Tortilla Chips. Thick strips of bell pepper, hearty snap peas, and baby carrots pair well with this dip, too. When I first served this Loaded Veggie Dip, non-gluten-free party guests ate it with slices of warm pita. With its hearty, veggie packed texture, others cast the dippers aside altogether, choosing to eat it with a fork.
The best part of all? You can scoop a pile on your plate – and have seconds – without feeling heavy or over served. Grab your dipper, and dig in!
I would love to hear from you. What is your favorite dip to serve or enjoy at a party?
- 16 oz garlic hummus
- 1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 4 tbsp finely diced fresh chives, divided
- ½ cup sliced scallions
- ½ cup sliced black olives
- 1 cup diced radishes
- 1 cup diced orange bell pepper
- 1 cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine the Greek yogurt with 2 tablespoons diced chives. Refrigerate while you dice and prepare the other vegetables.
- Layer the hummus around the bottom of a standard pie dish. Remove the Greek yogurt/chive mixture from the fridge and give it a quick stir. Spoon over the hummus and spread evenly on top.
- Combine all the vegetables, including the olives, in a large bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour over the Greek yogurt layer to cover completely. Garnish with remaining 2 tablespoons chives.
- Serve immediately with chips or veggies.